Our subject-specific Success Coach tutoring program includes consistent, individual tutors (Success Coaches) aimed at filling the gaps students have in their core skills and knowledge and, where possible, recover credits. The literature about high-impact tutoring and its impact aligns on five basic principles:
- Consistency: Building a relationship with the same tutor across multiple sessions helps students invest in their work, even when it is challenging.
- Frequency: Frequent tutoring sessions are best. Graduation Alliance recommends two 25 minute or one 45 minute tutoring session each week for students in grades 9-12.
- Quality: High-quality instructional materials designed to assist the student in achieving satisfactory performance in the applicable grade levels and subject areas are paramount to the effectiveness of tutoring sessions.
- Individuality: A small student-to-tutor ratio yields the best outcomes. Graduation Alliance recommends no more than three students per session.
- Flexibility: Tutoring embedded during the school day is preferred; however, additional options outside of school hours to maximize access are available.
- follow a structured session plan and the content will either be based on Graduation Alliance course content aligned to state standards or focused on test-taking strategies and practice tests to allow students to successfully master current grade-level content at an accelerated pace when appropriate, or, when warranted, review and remediation.
- include an independent or guided practice component comprising activities including, but not limited to, pair work, modeling, explanation, and peer teaching to demonstrate mastery of content and concepts.
- will be, to the extent possible, provided by the same Success Coach throughout the school year.
- regularly evaluate student performance and progress using the above strategies in addition to individual sessions with the tutor in order to tailor pacing.